|'Big Hitters' Road Race|
TITLE North-East's top roadmen took a break from the Premier Calendar to ride Sunday's Big Hitters road race promoted by VC Nouveau at Edmondbyers, Co Durham.
Former Commonwealth champion Paul Curran (Dinnington RC-Neilson) was a lone winner after making a late charge through the field. Entering the last 12-mile lap, the Middridge CRT duo of Norman Dunn and Chris Newton were at the head of affairs, chased by Jeff Wright (North East RT) and Nigel Nicholson (Richmond & Darlington CC), followed by the field.
But then Curran made his move, jumping from the bunch across to the chasers and then the leaders, before going it alone to win by 40 seconds.
1. Paul Curran (Dinnington RC-Neilson) 60m in 2-40-0
2. N. Dunn (Middridge CRT) at 40sec
3. C. Newton (Middridge CRT) at 4lsec
4. J. Wright (North East RT) at 2-55
5. N. Nicholson (Richmond & Darlington CC) at 2-58
6. R. Thompson (North East RT) at 3-0
7. M. Firth (Bonnyrigg CC)
8. D. Cook (Middridge RT)
9. M. Armstrong (Clifton CC)
10. M. Addinall (Middridge CRT) all st.